Computer Networking devices are also known as Networking hardware, network equipment or networking devices. These are physical devices which are required to communicate and interact between devices which are connected to a network.
What is Network Routers:
In simple words, routing is the forwarding of IP packets (Internet Protocol) from one network to another network. A network Router joints two networks together and transfers the data between them. This will show a network router need two NIC cards (Network Interface Cards), which are physically connected to two different networks.
Advantages of Network Routers:
- It makes two different networks together.
- A router has NAT (Network Address Translation).
- IP packets sharing between two different networks.
- Network routers have Wi-Fi connectivity.
- It has wireless access for Wi-Fi enabled devices.
- You can share single IP to multiple computers which are connected to a network.
Can Router act as Switch?
Simply, the answer is YES. A Network Router can be used as Switch because a switch is embedded in Router. But additionally, the Router has NAT (Network Address Translation) support.
What is Network Switches:
A network switch (also called a switching hub, bridging hub and MAC bridge). It is a computer networking device used to divide a LAN (Local Area Network) into separate networks. Switches connect devices on a network and receive, process, forwards the data to destination devices by using packet switching.
Networks switches are more intelligent than Network Hub. Routers are similar to Switches; Routers has the ability to forward packets between two different networks. But? Switches limited to a single network it can communicate node to node on the single network only.
Advantages of Network Switches:
- It can increase available bandwidth on the network.
- Reduces workload on connected individual PCs.
- Drastically improves network performance.
- Switches have direct connectivity with workstations.
Network Switches used for:
Most switches are using to connect devices like servers, computers, phones, printers, cameras and lights. Switches enable communication between each other on a single network.
Difference between Switches and Routers:
In a simple way, a network switch is used to connect devices such as computers, printers, etc., within a network. But? A router can connect multiple networks together. These two are different and can be used similar because Router has one WAN port and several LAN ports. A switch has only LAN ports, read more at Wikipedia.
What is Network Hub?
The most basic networking device is Hub, which connects multiple devices such as computers, printers, etc., together on the network.
Network Switch Vs Hub:
- A switch connects multiple computers together within one LAN (Local Area Network).
- Hub connects multiple Ethernet devices together.
Advantages of Networking Hub:
- Cost less than other networking devices such as network router and switch.
- Available in 4 to 24 LAN ports.
- We can connect different media types to Hub.
- Extend the distance of the network.
- Doesn’t affect your network performance.